*Available by private consultation only*
All levels. Beginner-friendly
Yin Yoga is a quiet, internal practice of being present with the body and with what is arising in the mind. It is a physically passive practice of deep compression and release. It engages the energy body through working with the meridians, the same channels of energy that an acupuncturist works with. In fact, some people liken a yin yoga class to a mini-acupuncture session, without the needles!
It is derived from Taoist Yoga and is a beautiful complement to an active (vinyasa, yang) yoga practice by making your regular yoga practice ‘juicier.” Additionally, Yin Yoga can be an effective way to address postural and structural imbalances in the body. Yin yoga is popular with runners and athletes, the slow deep stretch of a yin class is great cross training and helps balance the intense effort of preparing for a marathon.
In this yin yoga class we will:
- Create space in the body
- Hold poses for 3-7 minutes
- Lubricate the joints to find ease and greater range of motion
- Clear and open the energy channels in the body, allowing from greater circulation of chi and prana
- Release the tension held in the Fascia (this is the same tension that massage practices such as myo-fascial release and Rolfing address)
- Marinate the connective tissues- tendons, ligaments and fascia- as well as the bones and joints in order to increase ease and flexibility and improve the functioning of the body as a system
Each class ends with a Yoga Nidra session. Yoga Nidra is a practice of dynamic relaxation that has been shown to dramatically reduce stress. In studies, it has been shown to be effective for battling burnout, curbing anxiety, and alleviating PTSD. It is also incredibly supportive to creative work. Yoga Nidra is practiced in a comfortable lying down position and is similar to a guided visualization. It encourages the body’s parasympathetic nervous system to engage the rest and heal response while it invites the mind to drop into theta brainwaves thereby effecting profound restoration and healing.